I love the kind of meals where you can throw everything in one pan then just serve it up in the middle of the table so everybody can help themselves. Everyone loves pasta, and spicy Mexican flavours are really popular in our house: the kids come home from school starving, so I wanted to come up with something quick and substantial to fill them up.
This Mexican one-pot combines lots of healthy veggies with protein from the beans and chicken – plus there’s only one pan to wash up, which is a real bonus!
This recipe works really well by cooking the pasta in the sauce, rather than water, so it absorbs all the flavours and spices, making for a really rich and comforting meal.
The NEFF FlexInduction hob heats it all up really fast, so you can cook the chicken and bring the sauce to the boil, then turn it right down to a gentle simmer so it won’t burn or boil over. If you want to turn the one-pot vegetarian, just replace the chicken and chorizo with mushrooms, chunks of courgette and a teaspoon of smoked paprika.
Mexican one-pot pasta
An easy, family-friendly dish, cooked in one pan. This is comfort food with veggies, plus protein from the beans and chicken.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 100g chorizo, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 tsp fajita spice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 300g dried pasta
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 420ml stock made from hot water and 2 stock cubes
- 1 x 400g tin of mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado
- 1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- ½ small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 heaped tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 30g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 20g Red Leicester cheese, grated
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Small bunch coriander, roughly torn
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook for 3 minutes on a medium-to-high heat until it starts to soften. Add in the chicken, salt and pepper. Cook for a further 3 minutes until the chicken is sealed (it won’t be cooked in the middle at this point). Add the chorizo and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, tomato purée, sugar, and red and yellow peppers. Stir, then add the fajita spice and oregano. Stir again. Add the pasta, tins of tomatoes, stock and mixed beans. Stir and bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer. Cover with a lid or some foil and simmer for 12-15 minutes (check once and give it a stir) until the pasta is cooked.
- Peel, de-stone and slice the avocado and get your toppings ready.
- Remove the lid, stir and sprinkle the pasta with chilli slices and tomatoes. Top with avocado and red onion slices. Spoon on the sour cream and sweet chilli sauce, then sprinkle on the cheese, chilli flakes and fresh coriander. Serve immediately.
Could you be the next NEFF Cookaholic?
Do you love cooking and coming up with delicious new recipes to share with family and friends?
Then why not enter your twist on a classic dish into the NEFF Next Cookaholic Competition for a chance to win £10,000 worth of foodie-tastic NEFF appliances.
For more information on how to enter and the final – a live cook off at The Big Feastival – plus fab recipes from the 2016 winner, Nicky Corbishley, visit tgr.ph/NEFF